Mittwoch, 20. Januar 2016

To Read or Not to Read, that is the question (Alternate title: WTF George?)

Whenever there is a choice of either reading the book or watching the on-screen adaptation, I tend to prefer reading the book and let imagination build my own creative world. However, when I first started watching the TV series Game of Thrones I had to reconsider this aim. First of all, I hadn’t really heard much about the novel series by George R.R. Martin, A Song of Fire and Ice. Second, as I had come across the TV series first, I really saw no need to read the novel afterwards. However, after watching series 1-3, I had grown too impatient to wait another 9 months for the series 4 to premier. Therefore, I decided to go to our local bookstore and buy the actual  volumes that were meant to tie in with the latest on-screen events. But while reading A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, I became more and more disappointed with the books. Neither Martin’s writing style nor his language appealed to me. Somehow I had expected the novels to be written in more refined style, using the various devices of the English language to enhance the thick and complex plot-lines. Furthermore, I was really annoyed to find out that the actual books differed considerably from the TV series. For one, there were storylines in the novel concerning characters that didn’t even appear in the screen adaptation. In other cases, the storylines concerning characters that were both in the book and in the TV series were changed so much, that they didn’t relate any more (e.g. in the case of Sansa Stark/Alayne)[1].
George R.R. Martin. Look at his smug face.

For obvious reasons our perception of literature differs individually. So too does our preference for film adaptations. If we look at various books and their screen adaptations, e.g. Umberto Eco’s Name of the Rose, J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, John Buchan’s Thirty-Nine Steps, Rudyard Kipling’s Kim, John LeCarré’s The Constant Gardener etc. there is plenty of room for agreement or disagreement, approval or disappointment. Naturally, there will be readers claiming the book to be better, while others prefer the screen adaptation. Our individual perception will always differ in one way or another from that of others, e.g. from that of film directors or scriptwriters. Consequently, this difference in individual interpretation or even criticism can also lead to disappointment. (I am still wondering whether I should watch the screen adaptation of John Fowles’s The French Lieutenant’s Woman or not.)

Coming back to the Game of Thrones series, the initial reason why I started reading the books was so that I could follow up the storylines without having to wait for the launch of the next part of the TV series. Though the experience of reading Martin’s novels influenced my view of both the TV series and the book series considerably. Due to the high amount of contextual disagreements, the mutilation of storylines and the lack of refined language, I started judging both versions negatively. My discontent has only increased, since I finished the last available volume of the book series, A Dance with Dragons, and the promised sixth volume, The Winds of Winter, still unavailable. Although I didn’t really like the book series, I still fought my way through them, expecting to find some closure for the various plots and subplots. However, nowI am still waiting for the next volume to appear. Though despite his sincere promises, George R.R. Martin has not even finished book six yet. There are recurring updates on his webpage that keep postponing the actual publication of the next instalment. For true fans this must be extremely annoying, but I fear that Martin’s publisher doesn’t enjoy this ongoing delay either. As the next TV series is due out in April this year (and obviously people have been working on the production of the TV series for the better part of last year) the appearance of volume six seems to have become somehow redundant. From my point of view, the delayed publication of the sixth volume in close correlation with the launch of series six of the on-screen adaptation clashes quite negatively. But who will suffer from the obvious disadvantages of this development besides time-pressed fans? I am afraid Martin’s publisher will suffer via a reduced interest in the books and consequently lower sales figures.

I therefore wonder, whether there should be some further restrictions that could help avoiding these sort of developments. Even though I didn’t really enjoy the novels, I would have read them just for the sake of finding out what happens to the various characters. However, with Martin not being able to produce the next volume before the TV launch, I will probably reconsider reading The Winds of Winter, and I am sure I won’t be the only one. But I feel that this is the wrong development. Is it not more beneficial to read a book and engage your mind than just to watch TV? Even though I can recommend both the Harry Potter films as well as the books, I know of some people who just watched the films. When I asked them if they’ve read the books, they only shook their heads. Why read the book if you can watch the film?! I feel that people miss out by only watching the screen adaptations of certain books, for example the Harry Potter series or Eco’s Name of the Rose. Reference George R.R. Martin’s Songs of Fire and Ice this is a very different story.

1)     Why do publishers take on the production and publishing of (unfinished) book series when the rights for screen adaptations are sold initially?
2)     How has the accelerated pace of screen adaptations changed book publishing? What are potential effects of this change?

Some news regarding the (non)publication of volume 6:



[1] In this case it is interesting to take a look at Martin’s excerpt from volume six The Winds of Winter to the TV series. http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/. The plot-line concerning Sansa/Alayne has become incoherent. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen